Wednesday, October 26, 2011

school or work.....

I haven't been in school for 2 years. I went to community college right out of high school and got a part time job to pay rent and bills. My roommate ended up bailing on me so I had to pay all the rent and shit so I went full time at work and focused on my immediate need for money in the situation rather than on the long term goal of getting a degree and a career. Not to mention that I had no idea what I wanted to do when I graduated HS. I had always wanted to be a doctor and when I graduated I had some scholarships for that so that was my declared major at first but it wasn't for me. Then I wanted to be a teacher but wasn't sure so one semester I just didn't enroll for classes again.
Now I have been at my work for 5 years and my managers approached my about a promotion. I am as high as I can go in the company without becoming a full fledged manager, which is a big commitment. I pretty much hate my job now and would have to take on more bull shit if I went for the promotion. At the same time I am ready to go back to school next semester. I am still not very financially stable but my car is almost paid off so that will be an extra 300 bucks a month I will have.
The question is go for the promotion and the 40 Gs a year to start with in a job I probably won't like at all. Or go back to school step down from my position at work so I have time for class and go into debt for a decade or 2. I tell myself the obvious answer is to go back to school and have a degree in 3 years. And its what I really want to do and always have wanted to. But the thought of the money right now and being financially stable is a little enticing. I really think that I will go back to school but there are repercussions at work if I do that because it will look like I "gave up" when I step down from my job to make time so going back up wouldn't be easy if I wanted to. fuuuuuuck. Too much going back in forth in my mind. I don't even know why its a choice I know what I should do plus I want the experience of meeting people at college....
On a lighter note I think I am going to Mardis Gras in February down in New Orleans so that should be fun and I can't wait to party.

4 comments:

  1. Shit dude. I know that's a hard decision. Here's some thought from a guy that will be 50 next year.

    Do what you love, and you will never have to work again.

    I was fortunate to fall into a job/career that I love to do, and I have plenty of money usually. It just worked out for me.

    I have friends who have been in jobs that they didn't like for decades, and I just don't see how they do it. Day after day toiling at something they don't enjoy.

    The saying goes, do what you enjoy and the money will follow, and for me that was the case. Whether that is just dumb luck or the design of the universe I can't say, but from my point of view, if you're happy in your work, you will be happy in your life, and happy people are often successful people.

    Success doesn't always mean money. It depends on your values, doesn't it? There's plenty of sad rich people out there, and I'm glad I'm not one of them.

    I'm glad you at least have a choice, as many folks out there these days have none.

    Good luck buddy. I know it's hard, but I say follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack's right. Go back to school. You've had more time to figure things out. And there are a lot of jobs out there that pay better than $40K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, there's a lot to think about there. From personal experience, you want to be ready financially for college. Especially right now, a degree is no guarantee of financial success. If you plan it out right, then I would say that you should definitely go for it! And if you need any help figuring it out, that's kind of what I do for a living so let me know.

    ReplyDelete