Monday, November 28, 2011

families reaction to gay stuff

I am at the stage where I need to come out to my family. I just really don't fell the need to tell anyone else unless they are related to me. even when it comes to family I am more focused with telling my moms side. I already know my dads side will be put off by it but who cares I rarely see them. Here are some things that my family has said/done when gay stuff has come up.
 To start off with here is a story that I mentioned in my last post. My moms first cousin Ann got married to Gene 30 or so years ago. They had 3 kids together and bought a house in a small town close to where I grew up. One day about 7 or 8 years ago Gene told Ann that he wanted a divorce cause he was gay. One thing I will never do is get married to a girl, I know it isn't what I want and its not fair to her. So in this aspect I think Gene was in the wrong, however my cousin Ann is a fucking cunt. It is amazing to me that Gene was so concerned with being shunned and disowned by his family that he hid himself for so long with such a horrible person. He does get props for that, I want to punch her in the throat after spending 30 minutes with her. Anyway he went about it the best way he could. Ann and her parents successfully turned the 2 youngest kids that still lived with her against their dad. They told him how disgusting he was and a whole bunch of wonderful things any teenager would like to hear about their father. Gene's parents even stopped talking to him for awhile. They are very religious and couldn't handle seeing him so he would only be invited to family gatherings if his kids were going to be able to be there. Ann's mom is just as big an idiot as she is, now I get that she would be pissed off that her daughter spent so much of her life on a guy who left her, but she would talk mad shit about Gene at any opportunity. Everything is alot better for Gene now, he is still with the same guy he started dating after he left Ann. All of of his kids are back to loving him and he is included in his own familys functions.
Now family reactions. Ann and her parents are verbally anti-homo. I understand their anger with Gene but they don't have to talk about homos so negatively. They are people who I avoid so I could care less what they say. Ann's 2 siblings still talk to Gene when they see him and have no problem with him.lol....like I said Ann is a bitch. The same goes for everyone in my moms immediate family, we all talk to Gene still when we see him and they keep in touch online. No one in my family has a problem with him being gay, or so they say which I am glad for.
This weekend I was talking about Christmas decorations with my Grandma and she said that Gene's "roommate" had decorated the apartment and put pictures on facebook (yes my grandma has facebook.....). here is our conversation:
gma-Genes roommate decorated the apartment with Christmas
me-Grandma they are not roommates
gma-well what do you want me to call them
me-boyfriends
gma-but they live together
me-yes, cause they are dating
gma-but I'm old and am supposed to say roommates
me-but they aren't roommates
gma-but they share a room
me-so do you and grandpa
gma-well fine then

haha. I don't know why I said anything it just bugged me a little when she said roommates. And then I told my aunt the story when my grandma was sitting with us and she laughed and she didn't really want to say boyfriends either and than her and my grandma went on something to the extent of "to each his own, and whatever makes him happy". Which I suppose is a good view, but when I come out and don't want brushed off to "each his own" status, I want included. I want asked questions, I want to bring my "roommate" to Thanksgiving and Christmas. It might seem immature but I am fine holding my presence at family functions ransom if it means not being able to go to stuff with the person I want.
Also I can't even recount how many times I was asked this weekend about my girlfriend or any girls or blah blah blah. I have seriously worried that I didn't play straight well enough. Now I wish someone would say "hey are you gay?", if it was in the right setting I would say yes. It would be easier then trying to figure out when I make that switch from lying to someone and go to telling them something they never would have assumed. It would be freeing if I could just go on facebook and change my interested in to guys, and update me status to "I like D, get the fuck over it"...haha someday.
another thing quick. I still have grindr, I don't know why, maybe I am holding out hope. Anyway I checked it when I was back at my parents just thinking that some how there would be another gay guy to graduate from my town in the last decade or so that would know what grindr was....Fuck was I wrong.lol the closest guys were always 35 to 40 miles away. Maybe my town has to much "straight" in the water. While I was typing tonight this guy started a chat on grindr, he had no pic but I like to give a chance and he was responding really quick but his grammar was horrible, as in 3rd grader with the capabilities of a 1st grader. I understand people don't always use perfect grammar, myself included, but this dude was bad. Then he sent a pic and I didn't respond after 4 minutes so he went crazy clingy and sent 3 messages in a 1 minute time frame......blocked. Dude, we have been talking for 6 minutes calm the fuck down. Not that I was expecting alot from grindr but he was crazy. haha
I always feel a little better after writing. good night all

2 comments:

  1. LOL at that story about your grandma. She sounds really cool. I'm glad at least part of your family is accepting. Hopefully the rest will come around too. But even if they didn't, just remember that it's your life, your happiness that's at stake here. Whether or not you live your life in the way that makes you happy affects them very little, but it affects you 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Your grandma is like my own. They just do not talk about "roommates." Predeceased uncles on my dad's side of the family were likely gay. However, there were code phrases for these uncles: "Confirmed bachelor" "So handsome but he never married." etc.

    Granny may not ask if you are gay. But she may ask if you are looking for a roommate. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete